Your roof is more than just a component of your home. It’s an investment which protects everyone living under it. And like any investment, it’s important to protect it. The key to this is preventative maintenance. Having your roof routinely maintained by a trusted roofing company is one of the most important things you can do to keep your home safe.
Why Is Roof Maintenance Important?
Roofs are easy to ignore. They sit up there protecting your family from the elements and often take a beating in the process. Washington weather can be hard on a roof, which is just one of the reasons regular roof inspections and maintenance are important. Here are a few other reasons:
- It catches small problems before they become big problems. Even a seemingly insignificant roof issue can become a major problem over time. Small leaks become big leaks, and big leaks are much more difficult and expensive to fix. Many full roof replacements could have been avoided with routine preventative maintenance.
- You can extend the lifespan of your roof. A typical asphalt shingle roof (the most common type of roof in America) has a lifespan of 20 to 30 years. In some cases it can last even longer, but proper maintenance is crucial to getting the best life from your roof.
- Not all roof issues are easy to see. Roof damage isn’t always obvious. You don’t always see leaks until after they’ve started to cause damage, and storms can damage the underlying layers of your roof in ways that you might not be able to see with a naked eye. A professional inspection is often the only way to catch roof issues as they develop.
What Is Roof Maintenance?
When you contact a professional roofing contractor for routine maintenance, it’s important to know exactly what they’ll inspect and what they’ll do to fix potential issues. A professional roof maintenance visit should include:
- Inspecting shingles. Your shingles should be checked for damage, including loose, broken, or missing shingles. Missing or damaged shingles must be replaced. Your roofers should also look for missing or loose flashing and nails.
- Cleaning gutters. Water flow is essential to a healthy roof, so it’s crucial to make sure gutters, and downspouts are clear.
- Surface cleaning. Loose debris should be removed, and pressure washing is an option to remove moss, algae, mold, dirt, and grime.
- Inspecting problem areas. Maintenance checks should always include looking at the areas where roofs are most vulnerable, including soffits, fascia, and around chimneys, vents, and skylights.
How Often Should Maintenance Be Done?
It’s generally a good idea to have your roof professionally inspected and maintained once or twice every year. Spring and fall are the ideal times for this.
The cold, rainy weather of winter often takes its toll on roofs in our neck of the woods, which is why spring is a busy season for roof inspections. It’s the most important time of year to check for leaks, loose shingles, and weather damage. Fall is also an excellent time to have your roof looked over to make sure it’s clear of leaves and other debris, and ensure it’s ready to get through the winter months ahead.
That being said, if you haven’t had your roof inspected in the last few years, it’s best to do it sooner rather than later, regardless of the season. It could save you from having small problems come big problems. If nothing else, it will give you the peace of mind of knowing your roof is in good shape. We also recommend a roof inspection after any major weather event which may have caused damage.
Why Do You Need a Trusted Roofing Contractor?
Your roof is arguably the most important component of your house, which is why you don’t want to entrust it to just anyone. Only work with skilled, trusted roofing contractors who take the time to understand your specific situation. Having a trusted roofer working on your roof means they will get to know you and your roof, which allows them to help you take better care of it. If you have sub-par work done on your roof today, it will only cause more trouble tomorrow. At S&S Roofing, we’re a family-owned company with four generations of experience in the roofing business. We pride ourselves on building and maintaining qualify roofs for all our friends and neighbors in Snohomish, King and Skagit counties. We care about our community, and that care goes into every roof we work on. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you and meet our friendly and knowledgeable staff. We stand by our motto: “We Give a Fair Price for a High-Quality Job!”